Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1997 Olds aurora: electrical problem..head and fog lights..blink

I have a 1997 Olds aurora. I have an electrical problem with the lights. With the car off the head and fog lights will periodically blink on and off. There is a box under the driverside kickpanel that makes a clicking sound when the lights start to flicker on and off. I replaced that box with a used one and it still does the same thing. I also replaced the multifunction switch and that did not help either. What could be the problem???
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
This is a common problem with the headlamp switch. Gain access to the terminal E9 White wire at connector 202. This is a 48 pin connector located behind the Instrument Panel (IP) at the base of the steering column. Back probe the terminal E9 White wire and check voltage with a volt meter and the headlamp switch in the off position. The voltage on the White wire at terminal E9 should be 12 volts. If the voltage is reading 11 volts or less, the headlamp switch is defective. The headlamp switch is trying to/or is partially grounding the wire that would normally be grounded if the headlamp switch was turned on. Since this wire is partially grounded by the headlamp switch, the LCM is buzzing. If the voltage is low, replace the headlamp switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say headlamp switch are you refering to the switch on the stering column?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Correct, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already replaced that switch. The switch that turns the lights on and off on the column, I think it is called the multifuction switch?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, well then monitor the voltage on the light green wire at the lamp control module and if voltage is steady when problem happens replace module. If voltage fluxuates you have a wiring problem on green wire between module and switch.

graphic

graphic

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database