Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

chevy venture: radiator, hoses..water pump, and intake manifold

took a chevty ventura to a tire shop for overheatung. They said the system is clogged and want to replace the radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, and intake manifold. Sounds like a rip off to me. any suggestions
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
If the cooling system is clogged you should try a cooling system flush before replacing the whole cooling system.
The fluid uses high pressure to clean out any obstructions. Keep in mind if the system has a lot of rust inside it there could be weak areas of the cooling system, so the possibility of a leak popping up from flushing is elevated. Still the problem needs to be addressed. I would advise having the system flushed out first and the thermostat replaced before moving forward.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
called them back and they said the manifold is cracked leaking oil into the collant syatem, and that is why they want to replace everything
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Did they recommend replacing the manifold too? Or just the manifold gasket?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the manifold
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Well ultimately it might come to replacing everything to fix the problem. You do not have to throw everything at it at once to fix the issues.. It's really up to you. I'm sure this will all fix the problem but replaing certain parts may not be needed.