Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

How do you remove the alternator on a 2.7 2003 Sonata?

Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Remove the belt then remove the altnerator bolts, you may want to remove the wheel and fender splash guard to access the alternator easier, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dan-

My big problem is with bolt 20-25 in your first image. I've gotten everything off except for this one. It is a square (not hex) head and the bolt is reversed from the image i.e. the head is on the non-pulley side of the alt. (kept from turning by a boss) and the nut is on the pulley side. I've gotten everything off but I can't even drive the bolt out with a drift. I'm thinking of removing the O2 sensor so I can gain more access. Any ideas?

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
I would try to use a combination wrench or a ratchet wrench since you cant fit a socket on there. If that doesnt work you really have no other options other then removing the o2 sensor. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I should have added that I can't get the bolt FULLY out. The alt. rotates freely but I can't drive the bolt out completely. I'm thinking that it must be hitting something that I can't see. Removing the o2 should give me more room to see what's up (and you know how much fun they are to remove). I've drenched it with Blaster twice and I'll let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow.Let's leave this one open for now in case there's something else I find tomorrow, then I'll accept. It's just another case of trying to fit 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag. Oh for the days when it was right out in the open and a change took maybe 20 minutes.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Whoever worked on the car last put the bolt ini wrong, you may need to remove the exhaust manifold if worst comes to worse or cut the bolt and buy a new one.