Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

200 sonata: stalls..sits..awhile..the tach sometimes starts jumping

my daughters 200 sonata stalls on occasion, if it doesn't restart right away it will after it sits awhile. the tach sometimes starts jumping around badly when it does this. possible crank position sensor?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Is or does the check engine light come on when it is running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it stays on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Ia m going to say that it is very likely the cam or crank sensor. You should take the car to a parts store and have them read the codes. Most will do this for you at no charge. It will likely point to the specific sensor that is the problem.

As a footnote,my sister drives this exact same car and I had to put a crank sensor in it to resolve the same type of issue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what are the locations of the sensors, i have lots of experience with the cummins 5.9,6.7 & 8.3 diesels but none with this car

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

It is located at the base of the block behind the timing belt.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a 2000 Huynaui Sonata. It's hesititant to start in the mornings. I have to try a couple of times and let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes.