Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone
9949505

SE...check engine light was on..driven it on trips of 400 - 600 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Discovery SE. When I bought it used, the check engine light was on. I have driven it on trips of 400 - 600 miles with no problem. I had the brakes done at a local Firestone dealer. I had them see if the could scan the computer and see what was causing the check engine light to be on. They were not 100% sure what was causing it and said they were getting two diff codes. One for a sensor and one for a vacuum leak. They tried cleaning off the sensor and clearing the code. The check engine light came back on within five minutes. This past March, when driving on the highway at 75 mph, I had two instances when the the dash trouble lights (almost all of them) lit up and the truck lost almost all power. I pulled over, shut the truck off, waited 60 secs, the re-started the vehicle. It seemed to run fine after that. Now It seems to be shifting erratically at low speed and rpms. Is this a symptom of a vac leak? And do you think it would be advisable to have Land Rover dealer check?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Can you remember what codes were coming up? That information can be helpful.
Also, Autozone will check the codes for free.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't. And honestly I didn't ask. I will bring it to AutoZone and have it checked. In general, could a vac leak be causing the symptoms i described, or do you think there might be something else going on?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well a vacuum leak shouln't cause a dead stall, no. I think there could be a sensor issue causing spark to drop out. Like a crank sensor. Get the codes scanned and I will be here waiting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tim. Appreciated.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
No prob just let me know what the codes are.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for tsking so long. Codes are PO101, PO174, PO171, PO734
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
No problem, I am still here waiting. (Jk)
The sensor that FIrestone cleaned needs to be replaced. It's an easy repair you can make for yourself.

Sensor - Mass Air Flow (MAF)

Service Repair No - 19.22.25

Remove

1. Disconnect multiplug from MAF sensor.
  2. Loosen clip and release air intake hose from MAF sensor.
NOTE: Pre 03 MY air intake hose illustrated.
  1. Release 2 clips and remove MAF sensor from air cleaner, remove and discard 'O' ring.

Refit

1. Fit new MAF sensor 'O' ring, position MAF sensor to air cleaner and secure with clips.
CAUTION: Ensure 'O' ring is not displaced during fitting.
  1. Position air intake hose to MAF sensor and secure with clip.
  2. Connect multiplug to MAF sensor.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Back again. I replaced the MAF unit, cleared the codes, and all was good for about two hours. Check engine light came back on. Codes P0172. P0175 & P0734 came up. I checked that the MAF was secure and the wiring harness look proper. Cleared the codes. Engine light came on after 30 mins. Codes P072 & P0175 showing now. The only sympton that I have is that the transmission cant seem to decide what gear to be in when taking off from a stop. Seems to upshift too soon, then downshift right away. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Back again. I replaced the MAF unit, cleared the codes, and all was good for about two hours. Check engine light came back on. Codes P0172. P0175 & P0734 came up. I checked that the MAF was secure and the wiring harness look proper. Cleared the codes. Engine light came on after 30 mins. Codes P1072 & P0175 showing now. The only sympton that I have is that the transmission cant seem to decide what gear to be in when taking off from a stop. Seems to upshift too soon, then downshift right away. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
YEs, the mass air flow sensor on this vehicle does affect transmission shift points.
So I think we are still looking in the right direction.
Have a look at this TSB
Click here