Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

seville: overheating..radiator..hoses, checked water pump..highway

overheating in 1997 Cad sevile. Changed radiator, thermostat, hoses, checked water pump. If car is driven 30 mph ok, but if driven on highway it goes into the red. What are possible causes
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
What did you use for checking the water pump.
After you repaired the cooling system, did you properly bleed the air from the cooling system?
If so, there could be another issue with the cooling system/ engine.
I would advise bypassing the heater core. Use a clear hose between the heater hoses.
Inspect the clear hose for 2 things, air and coolant flow.
If the coolant flow is slow, suspect a water pump, if the flow is ok but there are bubbles present, you are getting air into the system. If the problem goes away all together you might have a clogged heater core.
Is ther ever smoke from the tailpipe? Or white smoke at all?
Please get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cooling system was properly bleed. Remember the cooling system works on slow or idel conditions. Only overheats when I drive on the highway. Do you mean air in the system from a blown head gasket or is there some other sourse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cooling system was properly bleed. Remember the cooling system works on slow or idel conditions. Only overheats when I drive on the highway. Do you mean air in the system from a blown head gasket or is there some other sourse. If there is white smoke from the tailpipe what does that indicate.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well if there is air getting into the system with no obvious leaks, I would be thinking head gaskets.
Does the "clear hose" thing make sense? Is it do-able?
Also, if there is white smoke from the tailpipe it would indicate a blown head gasket.
Get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do you get the clear hose. If I can find one it is do-able. If there is air being put in the system it will be from a head gasket right? Does the idel and highway conditions make sense with a blown head gasket?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Yes they both could suggest a blown head gasket. You can get clear tube at the auto parts store or even a home improvement store.
This will be the best way to check the cooling system at this time.
Since it's overheating on the highway, we know it's not a fan issue and it seems you have covered the other areas.

Edited by Tim West on 5/1/2010 at 4:49 PM EST
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone