Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1992 Mazda b2600: stay running when its cold but runs fine..warm

Customer Question

Dear Sirs,
I have a 1992 Mazda B2600i. It will not stay running when its cold but runs fine when its warm. I want to run a code check. I have a manual that tells me to bridge the St1 pin to the sig rtn pin on the test connector. But it does'nt show diagram to identify which pins are st1 and sig rtn. There are 3 pins and I don't want to risk damaging the computer. Can you help
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

To pull diagnostic trouble codes, you are supposed to ground the green pin and then turn the key on. Here is a picture.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. I was also hoping for some input on what my problem might be.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Well... there can be dozens of reasons why the check engine light is on.

IT mostly will have to do with the computer. The whole point of the check engine light coming on and pulling codes is to assist one in diagnosing the electrical part of the vehicle.

Mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensor codes are the most common.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try grounding this connector. If I can at least get a trouble code. I will accept your answer.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
If the check engine light is on, there is a code in the computer. This is the way to pull codes from the computer. I guarantee it!

Just ground this terminal, turn the key on and watch the check engine light flash and count the number of long and short flashes

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Edited by AMEDEE on 5/1/2010 at 4:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Amedee,

I did as you said. I grounded the green connector, turned on the ign. The check engine light comes on and just stays on. No flashing . According to my manual it says to bridge the st1 pin to the sig rtn pin.Then turn on the ign. and count the number of flashes. It does'nt say anything about grounding any connector. Note: I also have a toyota that i did a diagnostic on some time ago.It had the same instructions which I followed and was able to pull a code. The difference was it had a picture of the test connector and it showed which pin was which.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
IT sounds to me like your not grounding the correct connector.

If there is another green connector, then try grounding that connector.

The only reason they want you to jumper two connectors is because one of them is ground. All you have to do is run a jumper wire from the correct pin or connector to ground and then turn the key on and the check engine light will start flashing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are two green connectors. One has a single wire and a single pin. the other one has three wires and three pins. I grounded the one with the single wire.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Is there another connector with only one pin in that area? There should be there connectors there all together.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is only one other connector in that area. Its yellow and has two pins. I know this is for the fuel pump to keep it running with ign turned on because I used it when checking fuel pressure.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Are you jumping this green pin to another connector or are you grounding it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
grounding it
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Where are you grounding it to?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried several places. The firewal, the engine, and the neg terminal of the battery.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Try turning the key on first and then grounding that wire that goes ot the green connector.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried that. nothing
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Are by the fuel filter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Well, you could have a bad wire that goes from the green connector to the computer. It could be opened causing your computer to not be receiving a ground on this wire.

Anyway, If you would like, I can help you with the performance issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What would you suggest?