How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Kalamykid Your Own Question

Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 3364
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Type Your Car Question Here...
Kalamykid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

voyager: plymouth..goes in all gears in forward but no reverse

Customer Question

1996 plymouth voyager,goes in all gears in forward but no reverse,is there a fix i can do with out taking out the transmission?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
DO you have a 3speed trans or a 4 speed trans? "overdrive trans"

Edited by JAMIE on 5/1/2010 at 3:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have a three speed transmission with lock-up torque converter
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Please give me just a few minutes to go over the 404 trans diagnostic sheets and I will be right back with you and let you know what will need to be done to get revers working again. Be right back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok Jamie

 

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
When you put the trans in revers does the rpms change any? When it was last working did it seam to slip or have a delayed engagement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when it was working it had a delayed engagement. Now when i put it in reverse i hear the engine revs go down then back to normal
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

There are two possibles that would cause the problem you are having.

1. A leak in the valve body.

2. A leak in the revers servo.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed with the repair of the trans. There is a 75% chance the trans does not have to come out to fix this problem. But please remember there IS a 25% chance that it will. I can walk you through the steps to do the repair if you think you can do the job yourself.

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
I need to step out for a few but will be right back if you need more help with your trans problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if there is a leak in the reverse servo how do you repair it

 

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Let me look up all the steps and i will post them for you. It will be just a little bit before I can post the steps so please bear with me.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
I have not forgotten you. I will be back with the info asap.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

You will need to go to a local trans shop and get a lip seal for the revers servo and a filter "it will be much cheaper to get one from the trans shop rather than the auto parts tore" and then you will need to get some rtv black to reseal the pan and 5 quarts of fluid to refill the trans with. These are all the things you will need to get to repair the revers servo. You will need to pull the pan from the bottom of the trans, pull the shifter lever off of the shifter shaft, drop the valve body " pull all the hex bolts and leave all the torques bit bolts alone and the valve body will come out as 1 piece". From there you will need to take the band adjuster bolt out and then you will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the servo. Pull the servo and replace the lip seal on the end of the servo then put everything back together. Let me know when you pull the servo and i will have you tell me what you see and if there are any "chunks" missing. Here are some diagrams of the servo location.

 

 

JustAnswer in the News:

 
 
 
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... Justanswer.com.
JustAnswer.com...has seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like justanswer.com/legal
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
 
 
 

What Customers are Saying:

 
 
 
  • I would (and have) recommend your site to others I was quite satisfied with the quality of the information received, the professional with whom I interacted, and the quick response time. Thanks, and be sure that I'll be back whenever I need a question answered in a hurry. Stephanie P Elm City, NC
< Last | Next >
  • I would (and have) recommend your site to others I was quite satisfied with the quality of the information received, the professional with whom I interacted, and the quick response time. Thanks, and be sure that I'll be back whenever I need a question answered in a hurry. Stephanie P Elm City, NC
  • used your service this weekend with "Trecers" help. thank you ,thank you, thank you. replaced an A/C fan motor. Local Auto Zone had part. $15.00 "tracer" fee and $40.00 for parts, I saved several hundreds of dollers at a shop. i will recommend you and use you in the future. David L. Richmond, TX
  • 9 dollars, 2 hours of my time, and I drove away. Your diagnosis was right on the mark. Thank you so much. Phil Marysville, CA
  • Lurch. Thank you very much. I had real doubts about this website but your promptness of response, quick followup and to the point answer with picture was incredible. Charles Walnut Creek, CA
  • As a single woman, I really appreciate an excellent and affordable opinion.
    Thank you Geordie, I will not hesitate to contact justanswer in the future!
    Sue Charleston, WV
  • Another great insight to what may be the problem. I will have my mechanic take a look at it tomorrow. Thanks again, Frank...you do indeed know your stuff. Jim Castleberry, FL
  • The nearest Volvo dealer is 160 miles away. Best $15 bucks I have spent in a long time! Paul M Corpus Christi, TX
 
 
 

Meet The Experts:

 
 
 
  • Chris (aka-Moose)'s Avatar

    Chris (aka-Moose)

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    846
    16 years of experience
< Last | Next >
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MU/muddyford/2012-6-13_1204_1.64x64.png Chris (aka-Moose)'s Avatar

    Chris (aka-Moose)

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    846
    16 years of experience
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/TE/TedG/2012-6-15_14759_avaLarge.64x64.jpg Ted G.'s Avatar

    Ted G.

    ASE Certified Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    1596
    20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/joecamel90/2008-11-13_03615_head_shot.jpg George H.'s Avatar

    George H.

    ASE Certified Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    1311
    ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/AM/amedee/2013-10-24_23656_Amedee1.64x64.jpg Amedee's Avatar

    Amedee

    ASE Master Tech

    Satisfied Customers:

    2367
    ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/SU/supermechanic/2013-8-23_03546_500.64x64.jpg Jerry's Avatar

    Jerry

    Master Mechanic

    Satisfied Customers:

    1906
    ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/CR/crzydrvr00/2013-11-3_12123_246347.64x64.jpg Richard's Avatar

    Richard

    ASE Certified Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    942
    12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ST/Steve7654/2012-6-5_215929_japic800x660.64x64.jpg Steve's Avatar

    Steve

    Auto Service Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    1980
    25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician