Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

voyager: plymouth..goes in all gears in forward but no reverse

Customer Question

1996 plymouth voyager,goes in all gears in forward but no reverse,is there a fix i can do with out taking out the transmission?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
DO you have a 3speed trans or a 4 speed trans? "overdrive trans"

Edited by JAMIE on 5/1/2010 at 3:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have a three speed transmission with lock-up torque converter
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Please give me just a few minutes to go over the 404 trans diagnostic sheets and I will be right back with you and let you know what will need to be done to get revers working again. Be right back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok Jamie

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
When you put the trans in revers does the rpms change any? When it was last working did it seam to slip or have a delayed engagement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when it was working it had a delayed engagement. Now when i put it in reverse i hear the engine revs go down then back to normal
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

There are two possibles that would cause the problem you are having.

1. A leak in the valve body.

2. A leak in the revers servo.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed with the repair of the trans. There is a 75% chance the trans does not have to come out to fix this problem. But please remember there IS a 25% chance that it will. I can walk you through the steps to do the repair if you think you can do the job yourself.

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
I need to step out for a few but will be right back if you need more help with your trans problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if there is a leak in the reverse servo how do you repair it

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
Let me look up all the steps and i will post them for you. It will be just a little bit before I can post the steps so please bear with me.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.
I have not forgotten you. I will be back with the info asap.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

You will need to go to a local trans shop and get a lip seal for the revers servo and a filter "it will be much cheaper to get one from the trans shop rather than the auto parts tore" and then you will need to get some rtv black to reseal the pan and 5 quarts of fluid to refill the trans with. These are all the things you will need to get to repair the revers servo. You will need to pull the pan from the bottom of the trans, pull the shifter lever off of the shifter shaft, drop the valve body " pull all the hex bolts and leave all the torques bit bolts alone and the valve body will come out as 1 piece". From there you will need to take the band adjuster bolt out and then you will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the servo. Pull the servo and replace the lip seal on the end of the servo then put everything back together. Let me know when you pull the servo and i will have you tell me what you see and if there are any "chunks" missing. Here are some diagrams of the servo location.