DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

The mechanism is working but it does not release the tailgate top part

Customer Question

How do I get my Disco 3 's tailgate open you can hear the mechanism is working but it does not release the tailgate top part.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Hi Thank you for using Just Answer, I am afraid that the cable drive which opens your tailgate has broken. Basically there is an electric motor which pulls a cable that is attached to your latch assembly. The cable has a tendency to break at the connection to the electric motor..So you will hear the motor run but nothing will happen.

The only way into the tailgate to repair this problem is to force the carpet panel down (which can cause damage) to gain access to the cable and release the latch. And then the latch assembly will need to be replaced.

I hope this helps, if you need anything clarified just reply back and I will do what I can to help.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
That is exactly right I agree with that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I need to know how to fix the problem , I already know what the problem is.

Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
I am going to opt out and send the question to Dave since he was helping you first. He will be able to provide you with this info. Thanks for using just answer.