Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

95, eagle talon, 2.0 non turbo..meter..new alternator and same problem

vehicle is a 95, eagle talon, 2.0 non turbo. alternator is over charging, putting out about 50v, double checked that with another quality meter to verify. I decided to try a new alternator and same problem. I realize this alt is computer controlled so I suspect a bad pcm. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

That sounds like a bad PCM. Most times the charging tests are for one that is charging low. You will want to check the ground at the alternator, just to be sure, a bad ground can give all types of trouble.

graphic

This test judges whether the Power train control module is correctly controlling the generator output voltage.
  1. Always be sure to check the following before the test.
    • Generator installation
    • Check to be sure that the battery installed in the vehicle is fully charged.See: Battery
    • Generator drive belt tension
    • Fusible link
    • Abnormal noise from the generator while the engine is running
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Connect a digital-type voltmeter between the battery (+) terminal and the ground. (Connect the (+) lead of the voltmeter to the battery (+) terminal, and then connect the (-) lead of the voltmeter to a secure ground or to the battery (-) terminal.)
  4. Disconnect the generator output wire from the generator B" terminal.
  5. Connect a DC test ammeter with a range of 0 - 100 A in series between the "B" terminal and the disconnected output wire. (Connect the (+) lead of the ammeter to the "B' terminal, and then connect the (-) lead of the ammeter to the disconnected output wire.)
  6. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  7. Check that all lights and accessories are off.
  8. Start the engine.
  9. Increase the engine speed to 2,500 r/min .
  10. Read the value displayed on the voltmeter when the current output by the generator becomes 10 A or less.
  11. If the voltage reading conforms to the value in the voltage regulation table, then the voltage regulator is operating normally. If the voltage is outside the standard value, there is a malfunction of the voltage regulator or of the generator.

graphic

1. After the test, lower the engine speed to the idle Speed.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Disconnect the ammeter and voltmeter.
  5. Connect the generator output wire to the generator "B" terminal.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager