Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2003 lincoln navigator: crank..its not holding fuel pressure

I have a 2003 lincoln navigator. you have to crank it over a lot on starts because it's not holding fuel pressure. When you turn the key....with a gauge connected, you can see the pressure come up then bleed off. Once the car is started it runs fine. I'm wondering if there is some sort of "O" ring or something that is letting the pressure bleed off or what. I would think that if it was the fuel pump, that I would have issues other than just having to crank it a lot before firing.

Any help would be really appreciated. The car has about 110,000 and I'm not sure if the fuel filter has ever been changed.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!
I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphragm has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

If the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking fuel, then chances are its going to the fuel pump itself. There is a check a ball that can go bad inside the fuel pump and cause the fuel pressure to leak down. IF this is the case, the fuel pump will need to be replaced. Just be sure that none of the injectors are leaking
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Amedee,

I totally agree with what your saying..... I have a feeling it's the check valve/ball in the fuel pump...... but I had a chevy pickup that didn't hold fuel pressure while the key was turned on and it was an O ring......just wasnt sure if the navigator had anything like that, that could be checked before resorting to having to change the fuel filter....because it's a pain to drop the tank and deal with doing that.

thanks a lot!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
You bet!

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will do...
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
ok