Kiatech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

When the esc off dash warning light comes on I have no control

Customer Question

When the esc off dash warning light comes on I have no control of the electronic gas pedal. I can only turn the light off (esc function ON) I have no control over the engine. Is there a malfunction causing this. The only way I can reset the ECM is to disconnect the battery. By the way, I have a dash panel switch marked ESC OFF. this switch seem to be non-functional Any Ideas ?
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kiatech replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

car is a 2008 Kia sorento LX

Milage 26,000

Engine V6 3.3L

Tried --Can reset ESC to ON by disconnecting battery.

Also get error codes p138 (O2 sensor Bank 1)

and error p106 (Throttle Plate) I disconnect the battery for 20 seconds

This erasses all errors for 2 to 3 weeks then the same problem repeats.

Expert:  Kiatech replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-3sngnllj, Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Your Sorento needs a Throttle position sensor and a PCM reflash. This is covered under your basic warranty. And the repair only takes about an hour. There is also a TSB on the 02 sensor. The 02 sensor needs to be replaced with a updated part. That also is covered under warranty.

If you are satisfied with my answer please Click Accept so i get credit for my answer. Or

click Reply if you need more help.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
first thin this a used 2nd hand vehicle, the warranty expired 10 months ago. and why would it work perfectly for about 3 weeks. Afer many driving cycles then without notice act up again, I beleive the fuel / air Mix gets off and the O2 sensor then emits a voltage of about 1.2 volts. Therfore seems to be working as it should. but then again I could be wrong. I got a price for a heated O2. sensor from a kia dealer. he quoted me $260.00 plus shipping. I need better info. before I accept your answer. thanks