Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2001 santa fe: Hyundai..the fuel pump,the max air flow sensor..stall

I have a Hyundai 2001 Sante Fe, I have changed the fuel pump,the max air flow sensor, and the relay. It will run great for awhile then it will stall and not start for awhile. What do I check next?
I would first try to replace the fuel pump relay to see if that helps then monitor fuel pressure and compare it to when it wont start to when it wont start. If fuel pressure is good then move on to the ignition system. Check to see if it has spark if it doesnt have spark check to see if the crankshaft sensor is working by making sure it puts out as much AC voltage while cranking when it starts as it does when it wont start. If crank sensor is good replace the coil.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already changed the fuel pump relay,I have changed the fuel pump, I have spark, and the fuel pump acts like it shuts off until it cools off some

I'd monitor fuel pressure to see if it drops when this happens if it does you will need to inspect the wiring and verify the ecm has good power/groudn when problem happens if so replace the ecm. Here is a wire diagram, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the ecm/

Here is a picture.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is that the passenger compartment driver side?
Drivers side.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will a bad ground strap do the same thing?
Depending on what it ground yes it could, but you can test it with a voltmeter or testlight and clean connections or replace as needed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the ecm hard to change?
Its easy to change but needs to be done at the dealership so they can reprogram it.