Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

How do I change the heater core on my 1999 Kia Sportage GS

Customer Question

How do I change the heater core on my 1999 Kia Sportage GSX
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
To remove the heater core you must remove the dash/ instrument panel.
It's a pretty big job that requires evacing and recharging the a/c system as well.

Heater Unit

Removal

CAUTION: Never remove the radiator cap while the engine is hot.

1. Chock wheels.
  2. Drain the engine coolant.
  3. Discharge and recover the refrigerant from the A/C system.
    # XXXXX the dash panel.
  4. graphic
    # XXXXX the blower/evaporator unit.
    # XXXXX the low pressure line from the evaporator outlet on the bulkhead.
    # XXXXX the high pressure line from the evaporator inlet on the bulkhead. NOTE: Cap open ports. Do not use tape.
    # XXXXX the heater return hose from the heater core outlet tube connection
    # XXXXX the heater inlet hose from the heater core inlet tube connection.
    # XXXXX the fresh air/recirculation control cable from the blower housing unit inlet duct. utlet tube connection.
  5. Disconnect five connectors at the bottom of the blower housing unit.
  6. Pull carpeting away from bulkhead to gain access to the hole cover plate.
  7. Remove the four nuts retaining the hole cover plate.
  8. Remove the hole cover plate.

1. Remove two mounting bolts at the top of the blower housing unit.
  2. Remove two nuts attaching the bottom of the blower housing unit to the bulkhead mounting studs.
  3. Remove the blower unit from the vehicle.
  4. Remove the temperature control cable from the heater unit servo.
  5. Remove the two nuts from the mounting studs at the bottom of the heater unit.
  6. Remove the top nut holding the heater unit to the bulkhead to the bulkhead mounting stud.
  7. Remove the heater unit.

Installation

1. Guide the heater core tube lines through the bulkhead.
  2. Mount the heater unit in position and loosely screw a nut on the mounting stud at the top of the heater unit.
  3. Loosely attach the two retaining nuts to the mounting studs at the bottom the heater unit.
  4. Tighten both the top and bottom retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 80 lb-in (9 N.m).

1. Connect the temperature control cable to the heater.
  2. Install the blower/evaporator unit.
  3. Install the cover plate in place.

1. Insert four nuts to retain the cover plate in place. Tighten the four nuts to 80 lb-in (9 N.m).
  2. Reconnect the five connectors
  3. Reinstall carpet
  4. Replace the dash panel.#
    # XXXXX the pressure hose to the evaporator core tube connection.
    # XXXXX the suction hose to the evaporator core tube connection.
    # XXXXX the heater return hose to the heater core o

15. Connect the heater inlet hose to the heater core inlet tube connection.
16. Install the battery.
17. Install the battery bracket.
18. Connect the battery cables.
19. Replace the engine coolant.
20. Charge the A/C system with refrigerant. Refer to Recovery/Evacuating/Charging.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I cannot view the last three images. For some reason they won't open up.

There is also another problem. Water is leaking from a core plug near the camshaft. How would I stop this leak?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Now as far as a water leak near a plug. Do you mean a freeze plug is leaking? Is it easily accessible? If it is a freeze plug, you should be able to replace the freeze plug by pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. There are some cases where you will need to drill a hole in the freeze plug and "pop' it out.
I would make sure it's a freeze plug first. do you have a picture?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have emailed you photos as requested.

Hopefully now you can help me on this one.

Regards,

Customer
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Didn't get the pics, I think there is a way you can post them here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you give me your email address I can try again by email.I have another programme which is better for sending pictures.

Regards,

Customer
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well, the site doesn't let me give out email addy it will block it so it's pointless to try.
If you go to photobucket and setup an account you can post pics to that and you can give me the link. I know it's a pain but it might be the only way.