Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2000 Lincoln Town Car: stopped working..I pulled the door panel

Customer Question

My 2000 Lincoln Town Car driver's side window stopped working rolled down. I pulled the door panel and found a black box about 3 in. by 6 in. mounted in the upper R-H corner of the door. While holding the window button in the "up" position, I bumped wires going into the black box and the window rolled up. Now the window rolls up about 3", stops for about 10 seconds, continues up another 3" and stops again. This continues until the window is completly up. It seems that the black box is a type of control module and it is overheating and so starts and stops. Is this indeed a ECM for the windows? Is this my problem? And how much is the part-cost for this module (estimate)?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
The control box could be the problem. They best way to test it would be to roll the window down, with a test light probe the white with a black wire to see if voltage stays going to the window motor as you hold the switch in the up position. If the light goes out then the problem will be in the switch or the control box. If the voltage does not stop then the window motor is the problem. Check this and see if the voltage stays when you are rolling the window up. If it goes away then you will need to test the switch.To test the switch I will need to know if you have an executive town car.
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Did you do the test that I posted? If you need more help I will do my very best to help you out with this problem. I can send you wire diagrams and help walk you through the testing to find the exact problem. I just need you to tell me what you need.