FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2002 Hyundai Sonata: dies..mile..changing jerks at the speed of 50 mph

My 2002 Hyundai Sonata is making squeaking sound on starting. The sound dies off ultimately after driving for a mile. I also have started getting sort of auto-gear changing jerks at the speed of 50 mph, and the engine light has come up. The car has done 105K miles. What could be the cause of it? is it timing belt (was replaced at 70K miles)? or could be something else, like transmission?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, how many miles are on the vehicle now? Does the squeal get louder when you rev the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car has 105,000 miles now.
Yes, the squeal gets louder when I rev the engine.
But give it several revs, like 10 revs, and the noise goes away.
Sometimes, the squeal may also kick-in after breaking, and then accelerating again.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Most of the time this noise comes from the crank pulley or the alternator. Most of the time I recommend pulling the engine drive belt to see if the noise is still there when starting. If it is then it may be in the timing belt. As for the shifting this may be a different issue. Since the check engine light is on then the best thing to do is to have the computer scanned for codes. You can have this done for free at most auto parts stores. Come back here with the codes and I can let you knwo what else may be happening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you think if the coolant or oil drips on to the serpentine belt, that could "most definitively" cause it to squeal? I see some liquid dripping in that area.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Yes, if the belt is getting wet then that will definitely cause the noise.
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience: AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH