DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

what happens if transmission shift cable becomes dislodged

what happens if transmission shift cable becomes dislodged from shift cable bracket just found out my suv was recalled for this and was never notified and dealer sold me vehicle in 2006 with out taking care of problem It is a Lincoln Aviator 2003
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

If it becomes disconnected when you move the shifter it will not shift the transmission. You will feel no tension on the shifter it will move with ease. If it is a recall they have to honor it no matter what even if it is a long time after the recall comes out. If you call the dealer with your VIN number they can tell you if it has been done or if there are any other open recalls.

Edited by DBranch on 4/22/2010 at 2:50 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am assuming then the car will jsut stop and not move at all. Becasue I was driving and all of a suddden I went to move and the car just stopped. I would shift and nothing happened. They are telling me I need to replace the whole transmission 2500,00
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
If it comes off while driving it will be stuck in whatever gear the car is in. Such as Drive Reverse etc. If the car stops moving unless it is in neutral then there could be other issues than the cable coming off. When you move the shifter you should feel it clicking the gear and the transmission engaging. If it is slipping, revving up before it moves then the transmission is likely bad. I would check the fluid first it could just be low.