Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1994 oldsmobile cutlass supreme: convertible..my steering wheel

Customer Question

on my 1994 oldsmobile cutlass supreme convertible Usually the controls for my a/c and radio volume etc. are controlled thru my steering wheel as well , but they dont seem to work. I was thinking maybe its a fuse but I think I need the Fuse diagram or any ideas. thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
If the controls no longer work on the steering wheel but you can manually work the a/c and radio at there controls decks then the problem is not a fuse but will be the "clock spring" behind the steering wheel. The clock spring is what makes it possible for you to turn the steering wheel and still have the controls work. It has the wires wound inside of it "like a clock spring" so that when you turn the steering wheel there is still slack in the line. After normal use the wires will rub against each other and break the circuit. You will have to pull the steering wheel "after disarming the air bag" the get to the clock spring. If you need help in checking to make sure this is the problem or in replacing the clock spring I can walk you through the steps and send you some diagrams if you need.
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do i dissarm the airbag?? Do i need to purchas another Clockspring??
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Lets first check the one that is in your car. I will post some diagrams so you can see what fuse to pull to disarm the air bags and from there you can take the steering wheel off to test the old one first. It is possible that the switches are bad but that is not very common. Please give me just a couple of minutes to get the diagrams together for you.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I need to know what engine you have in your car to make sure I give you the correct diagrams please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
3.4
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
You will need to pull the fuses for the arbg1 and arbg2 in the fuse block on the right side of the dash. Here is a diagram of the fuse block.graphic
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Are you ready to continue?
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, sorry for the delay
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
Did you pull the fuses? Have you pulled the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
We seam to keep missing each other. Is there a time when you will be on and able to work on the car? If you give me a time I will be here to help you check the clock spring. I am on eastern time.