Jim Chill
Jim Chill, Technician
Experience:  15 years Ford dealership experiance 25 years all makes and models

You answered my question about the AMC camshaft

Hi you answered my question about the AMC camshaft. I do not have the original. But if I did in what way would it be different from the one I have now? If the gears are being chewed up,is it because the new cam is too long,short or what? What can be done to fix it without removing the cam shaft?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim Chill replied 6 years ago.
There could be several differences between cams. The pitch on the gear could be different, if this is the case the cam will have to be removed and a replacement installed. There may a cam spacer and or a cam securing plate which could be missing letting the camshaft walk in the block. Did you rebuild the engine or was it sent out to be done, was there any spare parts? Is this a GM engine?