Jim Chill
Jim Chill, Technician
Experience:  15 years Ford dealership experiance 25 years all makes and models
30684252

The motor is newly rebuilt

AMC Pacer,79,5.0 8cyl.automatic. The motor is newly rebuilt. New every thing. The problem is the distributor drive gear and the cam shaft drive gear. They are getting all chewed up. The car runs for a while then it stops. When I pull the distributor out,the gear is all chewed up. I tried every thing. New distrib'. New oil pump shaft. New distrib' gasket. The old looked kind of thick. I thought it might alter the specs. The timiing cover fits normaly. It is not warped. Still,the problem persists. Every thing appears to be correct. Can you help?
Do you still have the old camshaft and old distributor? It sounds like it has the wrong cam in the engine. The replacement distributor and gear looks identical i assume. If you have the old parts try matching up the two in a bench and then try to compare to the one in the engine now. jim