Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT: v6..coupe..engage..park

Customer Question

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT v6 coupe with 96000 mi...my check engine lite came on yesterday and about an hour later would not engage in park. went to A&A auto and he checked my tran-fluid and he said the level was fine..no burnt smell but was alittle dark and I should have it changed...car runs fine in all gears, no noise or jerking or loss of pep. I wan't to know what to expect when I take it to a Transmission place..Joe
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

Do you have the code that was stored that caused the check engine light to come on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, my local garage wanted $50. to check the codes...if I let him do that then I wouldn't need to ask you...I guess I'll just take it AAmco and let them do it Thanks anyway..Joe
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Parts stores can read the codes for free. Then you won't have to pay the dealer to read the codes and I can assist you and also let you know if it is something you should go to the garage to repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

you mean I can go to Advaned Auto and ask them to check my cars code and see which one made the light come on for nothing and if not how would I find out the code without have them check it with their equip...Joe

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, advanced or autozone will scan it for codes. For free! Then you bring me the code...it could read like P0500, that is the code I need. That is just an example, what we call a P code. You get that and I can likely help. It might point us right to the sensor or whatever. I have the code descriptions.This will tell me if you need a sensor or may need a rebuild. It is vital to help us diagnose the car if it is related. It will really help