Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Oldsmobile silhouette: all the way to the front right passanger seat

I have a Oldsmobile silhouette. There is a water leak right on the floor of the driver seat. Ones I removed the carpet and I saw it was also wet all the way to the front right passanger seat. It seams as longer you drive as more wet it gets.
Would you have any idea what is wrong/
The garage told me that there is an exit hose in the firewall and that one is completely free of debree.
Thanks,
Heinz
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

There are two possibilities. One is that the moisture is from condensation on the AC evaporator. So if you are running the AC, I would highly suspect this to be the problem. Now if you are not operating the AC system then we can eliminate this as a possibility.

The moisture could also be from the heater core. This can leak even if you are not using the heater. The tell tale sign of this problem is if the engine coolant constantly is consumed, and you have to refill the radiator coolant frequently. Also the AC condensate liquid is normally clean, and the engine coolant from the heater core will have an antifreeze smell. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not have the AC on.

But the liquid is clean water and does not have any smell.

One auto technician told me that they might have to remove the entire console to get to the leak which would be an expensive repair.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Heinz

Heinz. If the liquid isn't rainwater it will have to be either the AC system or the heater core, which is engine coolant. Now the AC system can make clear liquid when you run the defroster too.

Being clear liquid almost rules out the heater core and engine coolant. That leaves AC liquid from the defroster running, or rainwater. If you suspect rainwater then you can sit inside the car and let someone drench the car with a water hose. This should help you find the leak. Sometimes these are just plain tough to find, so you may have to let technician search for it. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.