MastertechRobert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech/Smog Tech 35 years exp.

Losing power..going uphill..ground..I push the gas pedal and it seems

Customer Question

My car is losing power while driving. At first it was just going uphill, now it is on flat ground as well. I push the gas pedal and it seems like it is not getting any gas, then after about 4 seconds, it will take off and resume as normal. Doesnt happen all the time,just intermittent. No engine lights. No trouble starting it.What the heck ?! 2001 Hyundia Elantra.
Category: Car
Expert:  MastertechRobert replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help. Your mechanic is right in that he cannot be positive about what action to take because he does not want to waste your money and his reputaion if he guesses wrong. That is all I can do is guess. But if you have a rattling sound under your car, you likely have a catylitic converter that has come apart and is intermittenly restricting your exhaust. Otherwise a bad airflow meter or just one that has carbon on the filaments is one suspect but I would not suggest just changing it. You could have it cleaned though. If it is a bad meter, sooner or later it will 'set a code' and your check engine light will come on. At that poiont your mechanic will have enough information to fix your car. Thank you and please click on ACCEPT as I am paid on comission only. Robert
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no rattling sound under the car. What would a catalytic converter that was restricting the exhaust have to do with it not getting any gas? What exactly is an airflow meter and where is it located? Can it just be checked to see if it is bad even if the engine light still never comes on?

The Mass air Flow meter is between the throttle body and the air filter. It measures the amount of air going into the engine. The computer uses this measurement to calculate the amount of gas to inject into the engine. A blocked converter will stop the exhaust from leaving the engine and that feels alot like no gas. If the exhaust cannot get out, fresh air cannot get in. Robert
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If the Mass Air Flow meter is bad, will this cause a check engine light to come on? How do you check to see if it is bad before replacing it? What is the normal cost of one and is it a major deal or a kind of quick fix?

no not usually. Because they do not go completely bad, they just start reporting less air. Robert