John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

95 oldsmobile aurora: radiator..overheating..the reservoir tank what

Customer Question

i changed my radiator on my 95 oldsmobile aurora and now its overheating and throwing out all the fluid in the reservoir tank what can be the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
These cars have common problems with headgasket leaks. What happened with the radiator? Did it just start leaking one day? When the headgaskets leak, the engine combustion pressure from the cylinder pressurizes the cooling system and allows hot exhaust gas into the coolant. This will lead to hose, radiator and other cooling system component failures.

If you start the engine cold with the radiator full and the radiator cap off, see if coolant shoots out the opening where the cap is normally installed. When cold the coolant should stay below the level of the opening. If it shoots out then it would appear that the cooling system is being pressurized by a blown headgasket.

Let me know what you find.