Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

1987 98 oldsmobile regency, shuts off when you put it in gear

Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 4 years ago.

Does it shut down instantly?

Can you keep it running with the brake on while you give it gas?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i apologize, im asking for someone else, he said it will drive then shut off, he'll be in motion and have to put it in nuetral and start it again

Thanks,

I would start by having him remove the air intake hose to the engine and clean the throttle body bore out real good with some carb spray. If it still acts up, replace the idle air control valve.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in this diagram wich is the air intake valve?throttle body bore? or do you mean bore it out? can you give directions as if he knows nothing about cars, cuz he doesnt. he has his book.

Sure,

Remove the hose clamp securing it to the throttle body. Once removed look inside the hole,,,that's the bore,,,,clean real good. The idle air control valve is circled.

Click on image below.

graphic

Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience: 35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
last question,what would i do if this doesnt work?

No problem,

It will need to go on a diagnostic machine and a scan tool to see how all the sensors are working. One last thing that comes to mind is the mass airflow sensor, they were very common to fail. It's shown in the diagram i sent.

Best of luck my friend!

Thanks for asking!