Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora: Air Conditioning..A/C compressor..few minutes

Customer Question

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora Air Conditioning Problem. A/C compressor will start and operate for up to a minute or so and then kick off, then every few minutes it will kick back in briefly and continue. The short cycling will not allow the compressor to pull down and get to temperature. Just had system evacuted and recharged, low side begins to pull down while high side begins to climb but does not run long enough to get good read. Replaced the fan relay last year when the compressor was operating properly but no blower motor operation. Does this sound like a control relay, high side low side p/s or other?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

If your air conditioning in not working, or working but not up to par, there can be a few different things that can cause this. There can be anything from restrictions in the system to your blend air door vents not working properly. First and foremost is look to see if your compressor is coming on. If all of your freon has leaked out or even if the freon level is a bit low, the computer will not turn on the compressor. This is to prevent damage to the compressor and the components. This is very common! If the compressor is cycling on and off, than the system is just slightly low on freon. This will cause the AC to work, but poorly. Look for moisture around the outside of the AC fittings. This will indicate a leak. If no moisture is detected, you might just be able to get away with recharge

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Though it was the charge as well but the had the system evacuated and filled to proper charge. As noted during the short cycle of the compressor my gauge set starts to pull down on the low side and rise on the high to around 240#. Charge seems to be okay but am questioning the low and high side pressure switches or other relay controling the compressor.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

If you were to jump the AC switches, does the compressor continue to run? If so, then either the freon is low or the switch that you are jumping is bad.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have access to a wiring diagram that would show the high low switches, last time I used this service to trouble shoot the fan motor problem the tech provided a diagram that helped.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

You bet!

graphic

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to hit the "accept" button if you have found my answer helpful. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll give the switches a try and let you know if additional help is required.

Thanks.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
SOunds good!