Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

97 Oldsmobile Achieva: ignition key..fuel filter..module..smooth

Customer Question

97 Oldsmobile Achieva 2.4L.
Problem: Engine stalled upon sudden/throttle or hard acceleration during either both in Park or Drive. Each time engine stall, ignition key has to recycle once or twice before engine can be restart.

The following has been done: Replace fuel filter, replace fuel regulator, replace ignition coil module.
The following has been test: Throttle position sensor--idle/closed throttle =.43v and full throttle=4.89v. Sweep test show smooth sign wave (graph) without any sudden drop.

Map sensor is within spec according to alldata. No chart to compair too thought so not 100% sure if map sensor is OK or Not.

Already tried the following; disconnect map sensor, throttle position sensor, EGR, pluged all vacuums check and recheck, also tried enrich with propain gas, engine still stalled upon sudden throttle/acceleration.

Note: Security light is on, owner said that vehicle's security (OEM) has been bypass by prior owner and has never been a problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

When your engine stalls and does not restart for that brief time, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tanks for trying to help but already cover all the basic. Fuel signal, injector pluse, fuel pressure, ignition plus to ignition module, check sparks, good.

Just FYI, I have discovered that when engine is underload, ignition module overload and shut down momentery just enought to cut engine off. I wasn't able to prove this with actual data but was able to confirm my theory with new ignition module. Problem solved.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Glad to hear its fixed!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!