Dave, Land Rover Shopforeman
Experience:  Land Rover Master Technican/ASE Master Technican. 12 years Land Rover Experience

Where is the flasher unit located in the Land Rover Discovery

Where is the flasher unit located in the Land Rover Discovery II
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Hi the Discovery II does not a have a typical flasher unit found on most cars/trucks..the flasher unit is built into the BCU (body control unit).

Was there a particular problem you where trying to work on ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes for the year/make and model of the vehicle I ordered a flasher unit it's is 4 pronge black cube that looks like it should go into the master control box. I order the part from Land Rover Dealer I just need to locate where it goes. The problem I'm having is only my right side turn signal it working/the left side indicator only flashes once, but it doesn't flash at all on the outside and my hazard do not work. I know the flasher unit has to be bad becuase all of the fuses are good. I just cannot find where it goes.
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Ok it sounds like based on your description that you have the relay for flashers, there are 2 one for the left and one for the right turn signals. This relay is located on your passenger compartment fuse panel, mounted below your steering wheel. if you look you will see to slotted plastic screws mounted on the top edge, just turn them to lower the panel and the fuse panel will be on left side of the opening.

Once you can see the fuse panel you will see several relays on the left side of the panel...the relay for the left side is labeled R1...there will be a sticker diagram to help you identify this relay on the back of the panel that you lowered to see the fuse panel.

Let me know if you need anything clarified.

Edited by Dave on 4/4/2010 at 8:20 PM EST
Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Updated and found a photo to help with your relay...just click the highlighted text in my previous post.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Dave,

I found the fuse box but the flasher relay it not the same one I have, I have a flasher unit it's like one of the Black cubes located in the master control fuse box. The two in the fuse box under the steering columun are Yellow, but only one clicks when I turn the signals on. It there a main flasher unit the regulates the left and right to include the hazards?

Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

Could you tell me the approximate size of the unit your Land Rover dealer sold you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

flasher unit

Here is a pic of the part>

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The flasher relay I have is the wrong one. I just found the one I need. But thanks for your help.

Expert:  Dave replied 6 years ago.

I am glad I was able to help you, have a great weekend!

Thank you