MastertechRobert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech/Smog Tech 35 years exp.

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora: 76,000 miles orginally..cooling

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora. I bought it from the orginal owner with 76,000 miles orginally. They replaced the cooling system, but apparently one of the fans isnt working. We replaced the switch for it, the sensor also and it will work manually but it wont turn on while the car is on. It gets hot in stop and go traffic, but will cool down on open roads. What could be the issue?
Category: Car
Expert:  MastertechRobert replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer. Well, first you will need to do some checking. Does the second fan come when you turn on the A?C? Normally a check of the fan system is done with an inter-active scanner. With that you can command the fans to run and check to see if the computer ever commands these fans to run. They are run in stages depending on engine temp. Now, one thing tcan be happening is your cooling system cannot hold enough pressure. The fans are actually not comanded to go on until you reach a temp. above boiling. 220 to 240 are typical. Coolant cannot reach these tempatures without pressure, like a pressure cooler. So it boils over into the resevoir and sounds like overheating. Repl;acing the radiator cap might fix all of your problems. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I hope this helps please send me additional info or click on ACCEPT as this is my job and that is the onlyway I am paid. Thank you