Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1999 continental: car sits in the sun on a warm day..horn goes..warmer

Customer Question

I have a 1999 continental. when the car sits in the sun on a warm day and is locked, the horn goes off after a while. This does not happen in winter, only when it gets warmer.
Is there an easy fix for this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It sounds like the horn pad is warped on the inside and making contact when it gets hot. That is not a hard fix, but it is part of the driver side air bag and can be rather expensive.

graphic

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute .

graphic

1. Remove the two driver air bag module retaining bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the driver air bag module.
1 Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.
2 Disconnect the horn switch electrical connector.
3 Remove the driver air bag module.
INSTALLATION

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
  2. Prove out the air bag system.

Part OEM Part Price
Air Bag
Inflator Module
Driver Side 1F3Z54043B13AAB $751.91 Notes
Order By Color.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you saying I need to replace the airbag to fix this problem?

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
I would bet. But you could just see if the wire to the relay is being grounded when the car is hot and the horn is staying on, just to be sure. Relay terminal #2, (dark blue wire)

graphic

graphic

graphic
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did accept your answer.

I pulled my horn apart last weekend. The only blue wire I found was at the horn switch electrical connector. Where is the #2 relay?

I wanted to check the horn button you said is probably warped. I assume this is on top of the airbag. I did not remove the airbag from the module. Can I or should I remove the airbag to check the button.

I don't think my problem is bad enough to spend $700 for a new airbag module.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
The horn relay is in the power box under the hood. The dark blue wire is for the horn, it runs through the air bag and to replace the switch you have to replace the air bag.

graphic