Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mitsubishi Montero: Those codes do not work and now my stereo

Customer Question

I just talked to Doug C, and he gave me a couple of codes for my Mitsubishi Montero, 2001. Those codes do not work and now my stereo is locked out. I need to know what to do now.
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Hi, if those codes do not work, there may be a problem with the serial number you provided. Please pull the radio to access the label with the serial number and model number on it and we can verify the information.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, hang on a few minutes, i have to get my husband to get that info for you.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX picture if possible, if not just the model/part number an the serial number
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, mu husband says that the serial number is XXXXX and the model number is XXXXX He said that he tried the 9718, twice and then the 8329 and it didnt work. Now the stereo is locked up. I know what we need to do to unlock it, just put the key in the ingnition and turn it on, and leave it for like 30 minutes. Could there be a different code?
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
If you are certain the numbers are correct, the code is definitely 8329. The only way it could be wrong would be if the radio housing was replaced (radio sent to a repair shop etc). This pretty much NEVER happens though.
With that serial number and model number, 8329 is the only possible code via Mitsubishis database.

To get the system out of "oFF" mode you will need to leave the key turned on or accessory for 75 minutes with the display reading "oFF". Make sure your battery is healthy enough for this task, if not place a battery charger on the battery during the process. If unavailable you can leave the vehicle running for the time period as well. Somewhere between 55-75 minutes the "oFF" message will disappear. At this point you can push the power button and "codE" will appear again.

At this point you can re-enter the code. Use ONLY the 8329 code this time, and be certain it is displayed correctly before pushing the unlock button (which based on the model number, should be CD). If the radio has never been sent out for repair/service, this will be the code.
I will be here in and out all afternoon, if you have any further issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Doug, I got it. i have one more question for ya. We bought our car used from a used car dealership, as far as i know the stereo has never been replaced, it looks to me to be a factory stereo. If the stereo has been replaces would it have a different serial number and/or model number?
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
The only way the code could not match the radio is by a serial number problem. The radios are coded to the chassis of the radio, but not the vehicle itself.

Essentially, you could pull the radio out of another Sport, put it in yours, and ask me for the code by providing the information on the sticker on the radio chassis.

When problems arrive is when the radios fail and are sent to radio repair shops. If they replace the main board in the radio and DO NOT scratch out the serial number on the chassis and right the new code on it, the radio is locked essentially forever. The board would have to be removed by a radio repair shop and scanned for a real serial number.
As I said before though, this never happens... I've seen it twice in many years of dealing with these radios.

I suspect that there was a mistake on the last entry of the code; But now that we know which of the codes is the right one based on the model number (8329) we have a much cleaner shot at it.
Just take your time and make certain the code is displayed right then push the CD button and you should be good.

Like I said I will be in and out this afternoon, so if you need anything let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. If the code does not work the first time and you are 100% sure it was displayed correctly, stop there and we will re-group.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Thanks Doug. If have any more problems i will let you know. Thanks you so much again. You are wonderful!!!!!!
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
It's no problem at all, I'm sorry we are having difficulty. These codes are usually pretty straightforward. I think we will be fine with the next entry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey its not your fault, more than likely its my husbands fault. He has the car and i am telling him how to do it, so it may be a breakdown in the instructions i have given. But i do appreciate you helping us. I think on good Friday everyone is out of the office, i have tried to call a dealship and no one seems to be there. Thanks a bunch!!! Hopefully i can get it done today and then i wont have to listen to the music in my head anymore.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Hehe, no worries.