Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Montero sport: get the code to my stereo

I need to get the code to my stereo in my Mitsubishi Montero sport. 2001. I have the serial number to the stereo, i just dont know what i am supposed to do now?
DO you have the code or the serial number?
Please provide the serial number, and if possible the model/part number and I can decode the radio for you.
If you have the code, I can instruct you how to input it

Edited by Doug C on 4/2/2010 at 2:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok all i have is the serial number, it is 09014123d. If you need to model/part number let me know and i will see what i can do to get it. Thank you so much!!!!
Hang on just a few moments... I only need the model number under certain circumstances (some serial numbers are used more than once).
I will post back shortly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.
There are two possible codes, depending on which radio model you have. You have two options here; you can pull the radio to verify the model number on the sticker on the chassis, or if you have NOT attempted to input a code yet, you can just try both. The radio allows 3 attempts at code entry, so with only two possibilities you will have no problem if you have not had any failed attempts yet.

If your radio is model MR472956 the code is 9718
If your radio is model MR490089 the code is 8329

To input the code, use the preset buttons to scroll through the digits.
For example:
Pressing preset button 1 will scroll the first digit (0---, 1---, 2---, etc) until it reaches 9
Pressing preset button 2 will scroll the second digit (90--, 91--, 92--, etc) until it reaches 97

And so forth with preset 3 and 4 for the third and fourth digits.

Once the code is displayed correctly, push the unlock button. This button is different on each radio but is always either CD, AMFM or TAPE. There is no penalty for a wrong button if the code is displayed correctly, so just push each one once. If the code is correct it will beep and unlock. If the code is wrong it will say Err1 and give you another chance. Use the second code if this happens.

If you fail 3 times, the radio will display "oFF" and the key must be left in the on position for 75 minutes to return the radio to the code screen.