Brian
Brian, Technician
Experience:  20yrs volvo/saab foreign car service
17530802

1988 Saab: manually..motor running...........any easy way to fix

Customer Question

My 1988 Saab convertible top does not work..........I can take it down and up manually, but the "automatic" ....push the buttom............does not take the top up or down....all I get is the sound of a motor running...........any easy way to fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome. The motor might need fluid or may need changed it is located under the back seat on passengers side there screws on the lip of the seat to get it up. if you need anymore info let me know.

thanks

Brian

Please press ACCEPT if this answer helped

Brian, Technician
Experience: 20yrs volvo/saab foreign car service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have located a cylinder approximately 12" in length with plastic tubes running out from it. I opened the screw at the top and noted that the cylinder is very full except for a small amount of empty space around the fill screw.......I would say it is about 5/6 full. What next?
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

I would try changing the fluid.just siphon it out and change it.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can siphon the liquid out using some old plastic tubing. What will I replace it with?.....special hydralic oil?.....Can I purchase this at any auto part place?....Are there any filters needing replacement?
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

here are the saab specs for your top and proper fluid level. If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks

Brian

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try this and let you know...thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It works..........thanks
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

you are welcome and thanks for accepting my answer

Brian

Edited by Brian on 4/5/2010 at 2:14 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Another question....My 1988 Saab convertible's antenna will not go down....when you shut the engine off you can hear the motor running, but the antenna does not go down. What do you suggest?
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

you need to replace the antenna mast.the assembly will need to be removed to do this.

thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK....how do I do this?........do I need special tools?
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

you need to remove the black nut on the top of antenna, in the trunk remove covering you will see the antenna assembly. the bolts are either 8mm or 10mm which hold it to the body.there is a drain tube at bottom you easiest to pull out from body . remove assembly. there is a 7mm nut in the middle of the assembly that holds the cover you must take this of there is probably a length of nylon cord in there from the old antenna. Pay close attention to how things come apart so you can put back in correct order reassemble. the next thing is to remove the 2 philps screws in the base of the antenna cylinder. Remove the antenna cylinder .i use a 24" long 1/4 drive extention to bang out the old locking sleeve. After that put back together and reinstall the assembly . switch car on turn radio on you will hear the antenna wait till it finishes then feed the new nylon cord in till you feel it make contact the the gears turn radio off and let antenna feed in. install the locking sleeve and the cover and nut. i wish i had diagrams for you but my system show the detail needed to preform this job.if you need further help or you get stuck let me know i can probably talk you through it.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I took the cover off by removing the one bolt and did see a piece of nylon cord about 6 inches in length coiled inside the cap. I removed it. There is nylon cord inside and entering the antenna cylinder.....do I try to move this through the antenna cylinder and insert inside the round cover?..........I am not following how I get the remaining nylon cord into the assembly so that it winds and unwinds....................if this does not work, is there an antenna that I can purchase to replace the current one and raise and lower it manually?

Thanks

Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

do you have a new antenna mast?

thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Everything is what was on the car
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

you need a new antenna mast. eeuroparts.com has them.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok........Now I follow. Thanks! have I paid you??
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

you paid for the first question it is up to you if you pay for this second one.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok.thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok.thanks

Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

you are welcome

Brian