Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

i have a 2005 hia optima was driving fine then it just died

Customer Question

i have a 2005 hia optima was driving fine then it just died got it started again it died disconneted the battier and started got home turned it off now wont start turns over just wont start it seams as if its not getting gas pulled fuel pump tested it and it works put it back in still no start.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

is normally a problem with the cam or crank position sensor. You should rent or borrow a code reader and see if there are any codes stored for either of these. The ECM uses signal from these to give the fuel injectors pulse.

Also, if the car has a security system, it could be disabling the fuel injector pulse. Check to make sure the security light goes out when the key is turned on to start the car.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why is it when i spray starting fluid it starts but again it sies and wont stay runnibg
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Because the injectors are pulsing and putting fuel into the cylinders. The problem is of course we have to find out why. When you spray the starting fluid into the throttle, you are by passing the injectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i don't have much money but this is my only car for my daughter and myself to get to work, i do know a little about cars but the old school ones.about 4 months ago my check engine lite came on i took it to amcco transmissions they told me i needed to replace the output speed sensor, i never did and the check engine went off, i myself pulled the fuel pump took a 12volt power tester to the fuel pump to pump out the gas in the tank to a can so the fuel pump worked and yes i am a woman
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, check 30 amp ign1 fuse and 30 amp ecu fuses. These are likely located under the hood in the main fuse box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok fuses are good and i don't have a security system or any other devices on the car all stock
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I would say at this point, you need to get a noid light and plug it into one of the plugs for the injector and crank the engine. The noid light will flash if the injector is seeing pulse signal.If it flashes then you likey need a fuel pump.You will at least need to check the actual fuel pressure at the line.If it is to low, the injectors won't work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok went to do what you said and when i turned the key on the tac started going crazy and you can here like a ticking noise coming from under the glove box it's like the sound of your blinkers were on,

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Did the car turn over? This was an injector wire right? Not a coil wire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it didn't turn over,
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
ok,I suspect the battery has gone flat on the car. You can try to jump it and see if it will crank.It should crank with the injector unplugged. If it will crank with a jump, charge the battery for a bit and let me know when it will crank for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok all righty it started up on it's own but died shortly after, also when i turned the key you can hear hising sound coming from the fuel injeters like as if it was pumping air out on it's own and the tac gauge was going up and down and the check engine lite is staying on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now the battiery is died
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, need to get the battery charged, then see if the car will start on it's own again and if the check engine light comes back on, get a code reader.Most of the large parts stores will loan it or let you rent it.Then you can get the code and see what is happening. I believe you are going to have a bad cam or crank sensor causing the issue.Once you have the code post it here and I can help you repair the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok did what you said and yes the car started ran for a good 20-25 min. and then stut it's self down and wont start again . now i can here 2 clicks and a hising sound coming from this black cantainmer on the passagers side up by the firer wall and a cable going to the throttle, so went down to get a code reader got home the codes read po338 and po343. please help so far so good i am a 54 old lady and doing this on my own one more thing were is the crankshaft sensor at.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

Ok,I am not sure about the noise,however the codes are for the cam and the crank sensors on the car.

The crank sensor is located behind the timing belt cover.

The cam sensor is located up in the cylinder head

I would say either the timing belt is a problem or possibly the cam or crank sensor wiring connectors have some type of problem.

Usually if you get both codes, the car is out of time.

I would look at the connectors for both and make sure they are clean and tight. If they look good, then you should pull the timing cover and make sure all of the teeth are good on the belt.