Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
21364095

2004 Mit Endeavor - rear gate will not open. Ive pushed down

2004 Mit Endeavor - rear gate will not open. I've pushed down on the window and it appears to be fully closed. The remote will not unlock it either.
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have some basic tools available (philips screwdriver, flat head screwdriver) for testing purposes?
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I sure do.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
Great,
I need you to take the flathead screwdriver and climb into the back of the car through the backseat.
In the center bottom of the tailgate is a rectangular panel about two inches square. Pry the panel out using your fingernails or the flat head screwdriver.
Behind the panel will be two piece of linkage; these operate the tailgate and the glass hatch mechanically in the event of an electrical failure.
Operate the glass hatch release for me. If memory serves it is the upper one, but if you get it wrong just pop the opposite one then close the tailgate again. We want the glass hatch open only.

-

Outside the vehicle, Remove the trim panel surrounding the glass hatch handle, wiper motor, etc.
There are two philips screws holding it on and one large plastic flathead type cap. Once all three are off you should be able to pop the panel off.

-

Once accessible, follow the wire harness from the glass hatch handle to the electrical connector. It is a white two-wire connector.

Unplug the glass hatch handle connector and close the glass hatch, then attempt to re-open the tailgate (not the glass, the whole tailgate) and tell me your results.

Thanks

Edited by Doug C on 4/2/2010 at 3:51 PM EST
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
I am stepping out for about 20 minutes; if you have the results posted while I'm gone I will respond as soon as I get back.
Thanks
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
I am back now.

When you unhooked the connector did the tailgate resume working?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes - e-key and manually.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
Excellent.

The problem is within the release handle for the glass hatch.

For safety reasons, the latches and handles are monitored at all times to prevent one item being opened while the other is not shut. The glass handles have a tendency to short internally, causing what appears to be an "open glass" condition to the vehicle, thereby shutting down the tailgate release.
Disconnecting the handle removes the internal short, allowing the tailgate hatch to resume normal operation.

For temporary repair, you can leave the system as-is right now and only have tailgate access but no glass hatch access.
For proper repair, you will need to replace the glass hatch handle.

This part is only available from Mitsubishi dealers, but is fairly inexpensive. The part number is XXXXX and has a list price of $43.75.

To replace, simply remove the 10mm nuts holding it to the glass and swap it out. Reconnect the new electrical connector and reassemble the panel removed earlier.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi