david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

1981 Mazda: fuel pump..sedan..fuel line..surging and backfiring

Customer Question

I need to know where the fuel pump is on a 1981 Mazda sedan. Also can't find a fuel line filter . Filter seems to be blocked and causing surging and backfiring when I start the engine. If I pump the accelorator, it keeps gong very roughly, and the backfire happems. This started out driving and when engine was warm/hot, it got me home, but when I start it now, I would't want to risk trying to drive to a garage as is. Neaerest is a few K's away, and it is Easter hols. Can you offer any help please?
Stuk
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps .

The 626 electric fuel pump is located under the floor of the car in front of the fuel tank.

The RX-7 electric fuel pump is mounted near the fuel tank and access to the pump is gained by removing the rear floor mat and the storage compartment behind the driver's seat.

The fuel filter is mounted under vehicle, driver side, below seating area, near fuel tank, mounted on frame rail in fuel line

Hope this helps
Good luck

Edited by david on 4/2/2010 at 10:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks David, the detail of my car is a bit thin I admit, but, wife just found the registration papers- It is a 4 cylinder 1981 Mazda 929 model. It has an engine number which might help with I.D of the series.
It is LA 4M5877129. I hope this enabled you to help me with this David. Thanks.
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
OK Mazda 81 929 used both a manual or an electric fuel pump depending on were it was made and many other things.

The electric fuel pump is inside the fuel tank.

The manual fuel pump is bolted to the side of the engine and runs off a cam gear.

The fuel filter is mounted under vehicle, driver side, below seating area, near fuel tank, mounted on frame rail in fuel line.

Edited by david on 4/2/2010 at 11:32 AM EST
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have found position of fuel pump and filter in the Mazda 929 (1981) Your information was of no use. For future reference you need to know the pump and filter are concealed in a vented metal housing bolted to underside of spare tyre tray. All accessible from beneath tyre tray. I
would appreciate a credit for $16 (AUD) paid. I couldn't check your information last night in the dark, but today I was able to perform a thorough search.
Expert:  david replied 4 years ago.
Sorry that my info was no help. But i am happy you found it.

I have put in for a refund for your total payed hope you have a good day.