BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2000 Alero: smells..time I the owners manual..cabin filter

I have a 2000 Alero that smells like dust every time I turn on the air. This is especially bad if I recirculate the air. According to the owners manual I do not have a cabin filter. Is there something I can clean? What can I do, I live in AZ and cannot go without air.

Usually this is caused by moisture getting on the fins of the ac evaporator and actually causes mildew to grow on it. You will need something like this product to get the smell out. Sometimes the process has to be done 2-3 times. Let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I also have dust actually blowing out of the ducts, is there a specific duct, filter, or vent that I could clean or vacuum out?
You will need to take the blower motor out and clean all the debris out that you can find. I also just checked my manual and they say this has a cabin filter but does not give a procedure. Sometimes GM cars do this and they do not have a cabin filter. I can check with my local dealer tomorrow and see if they show a filter also. Here is the blower removal procedure. Leaves and debris get in here this could cause what you are experiencing. Let me know if i can help further.

Edited by Bob on 4/2/2010 at 5:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Bob,
I will try this. Could you please check with your local dealer to see if there is a cabin filter? I would really appreciate it
No problem, i will do it in the am. Just respond back to this after you get my reply then it will remain at the top of my list of questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello again and Happy Easter. No cabin air filter according to local dealer, do the other recommendations and that should help alot.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Happy Easter to you.
Thank you