Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi

my convertable just quit working one day.

my convertable just quit working one day. what could be wrong and can I fix it? And where's the fuse for it? Thanks

The fuse is located in the engine area fuse box, and has a picture of a car with the top opening on the diagram on the cover.

Do the windows go down when you push the convertible top button?

If no, do the windows work with the door window switches?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the windows go down when I push the convertable button. Could there ba a fuse just for the motor or maybe reset button if some idiot tried to put the top down without unlocking it. I don't know if that happened I was just wondering.

Thank you.

It sounds like the top may be in manual mode. If there is a failure of one of the motors, etc, that prevents the top from working,there is a manual switch so that you can operate the top in an emergency.

Unfortunately this switch is often tripped by accident, as most people do not know it exists. Items sliding around in the trunk etc are common to trip the switch.

Open your trunk and look in the area behind the drivers side tail light for a toggle switch; you may have to pull the carpet back out of the way. The switch will either say ON/OFF or AUTO/MANUAL or similar, they used a few different switches over the years. Make sure the switch is NOT set to off or manual. Then verify top operation and get back to me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will check as soon as my car gets back. So sorry I forgot I let my son borrow it. I even ran outside to to check the trunk for the switch. I called him and he can't check it till he's off work in about an hour. He said he'll do it asp as soon as he's off. Please accept my apology I was having a blonde moment.

Hehe, it's no problem. I'm leaving for the night right now anyway, so no worries.

I will be back in the morning if you need further assistance tomorrow. I think you will find something has bumped that switch. Typically if there is a problem with the system preventing operation, the windows will no longer go down with the top button. The motors are never completely quiet when they fail, and never fail at the same time.

Everything is pointing at the over ride switch right now. If not, I'd be more than happy to continue trouble shooting the problem for you.

Have a good night!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IT WORKED!!!!!! YIPPEEE! I can drive topless again. Thank you.
You're welcome! The easy fixes are always the best!

Thanks for using Just Answer!