carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models

Took my 2006 Hyundai Sonata to Valvoline for oil change and

Took my 2006 Hyundai Sonata to Valvoline for oil change and State Inspection. On the way home, the oil warning light came on every time I braked or stopped. Day after it's still doing it and now the engine light is on. Is this a serious problem or a computer malfunction?

Good evening.

It is possible that this could be a serious problem.

What I would like you to do is to open your hood and check your oil level..

if the oil level is full it is possible that the wrong viscosity engine oil was used when the oil change was done.

I strongly recommend that if your engine oil is full you have your cars engine oil pressure tested at your local repair center. Your local service center will be able to test the oil pressure output from the oil pump. This will determine whether there is a true oil pump failure or just a sensor that is failing.

There may indeed be no mechanical failure and the problem may be just a sensor that is failing but you don't want to ignore it, it could cost you an engine...

Please let me know what other questions you may have.

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Are you saying that incorrect oil viscosity could cause the oil pump failure?   </p><p>My receipt shows 5W20CONVB was used.  I'm assuming that's 5W-20 conventional, which is what my manual calls for.  Now I'm really nervous.  As you can tell, I don't know anything about cars.  Is it safe enough to drive it to a service station?</p>

I am sorry for not getting right back to you. I had a computer melt down last night.

Oil viscosity can cause pump failure if the wrong type of oil was used. I don't mean to make you panic, I just want to have the engine oil pressure checked out so that we know whether its a real problem or just a sensor.

If your engine sounds good, is full of oil and your not hearing any rattling, you should be okay to drive it in to your service station..

Please let me know what their testing reveals...

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks so much, Josh. I really appreciate your advice...don't know anyone knowledgeable enough to give me these answers.

The car might sit for the weekend, but I'll let you know what happens when I bring it in to be checked.

No problem. Just please let me know what is found...

Thanks, Josh