Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

2002 olds alero: that has no spark so it wont run it has been sitting

I have a 2002 olds alero that has no spark so it wont run it has been sitting along time if that help evaluate. It has a 2.2 ecotec.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

Below is a test that will need to be done,

1. If no spark, test for 12 volts on fuses 37-42 in the under hood fuse block.

2 If they all have low voltage, test for 12 volts on the Red and Black wire at the ignition switch.

3 If ok, test for 12 volts on the Pink wires.

4 If low, the ignition switch is defective.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wont be able to do the test until tomorrow. I will get back with you when I get the result. Thank you.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok sounds good. Just let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ran the tests all the fuses had 12 volts the red and black wire had 12 volts and the pink wires had 12 volts when the switch was on o volts with it off. What does this tell us? Thanks
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
That tells us that the ignition switch is not the problem (it is a common problem). So the problem is most likely the computer or the ignition control module to be sure a lab scope is needed and more testing but most people will just try the ignition control module.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In my first message, I mentioned that I changed the coil packs and spark plug wires they are all part of the same part as the ignition control module which I changed with a used part. It was off of a car that did have spark. So I actually have already changed the computer and the icm. When I changed the computer I did not have it flashed and poss that is what I am missing. I was wondering how I can tell if it is the key or the security system and how I can reset it. At this point I am just going to change the ignition switch even though I know it tested out ok. If that does nothing I will be talking it to the dealer to get the computer flashed or tested. If you have any more suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Was the computer also used and is it still being used?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I got a used computer installed it when I had no change I installed back the original.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Installing a used computer really does not tell you anything because they need to be programmed for your specific vehicle for it to work so the computer could still be the problem.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic