Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Tracker: dealership..It has the 2.5L V6 engine..clunk..test drive

I bought a Tracker from a dealership on Sunday. It has the 2.5L V6 engine. There was a distinct "clunk" on making right turns during the test drive. Dealer said they'd fix it. Turned out to be bad bushings on the stabilizer bar. These were replaced. When I brought the car home on Monday, there was a blue-white emission from the exhaust with a greasy black deposit inside the tailpipe. I took it back Tuesday. The car is under a 30 day warranty, by the way. They called yesterday and said they acknowledged the problem but had not yet found the cause. They called a couple of hours ago and said that they had discussed their options and would either drop in a rebuilt engine, take the old one apart, fix whatever was wrong and put it back together or take back the car and let me pick out another from the lot with similar mileage, etc. They also offered me a loaner. I didn't need the loaner, so I declined that offer. What I need to know is which course would be the best for me.HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.

If you are in love with the vehicle then I suggest going with a reman engine. If not so much, then I would go for the new vehicle. At least if you have them put a reman in this one you will know where you stand.

With a different car you could be getting the same problems.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I'm not good w/car stuff. By reman do you mean take the already rebuilt engine they are ready to drop in or have the original rebuilt? My thought is to go with the already rebuilt. Is that not just about like a new engine? Would this void or extend the 30 day warranty?

Yes, I love the car.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
You are correct, I do mean the rebuilt engine they are ready to drop in to it. It is basically a new engine. This should not void the warranty,but it will not extend it either unless the engine comes with some type of warranty. I would ask about that,most come with a one year/12k mile warranty.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.