Brian
Brian, Technician
Experience:  20yrs volvo/saab foreign car service
17530802

saab: aero..vibration noise as turbo goes from white..light warning

Customer Question

saab 2001 9-5 hot aero auto estate. vibration noise as turbo goes from white to orange .engine light warning on dash.had new valve fitted (not sure what valve) but same problem after leaving garage. car still drives well apart from noise and light on.any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Hi and welcome. Can you tell me about were the noise is coming from?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Brian

Noise quite hard to pinpoint but would say from somewhere at the back of engine ,but only makes noise when driving and at certain revs (TURBO GUAGE NEEDLE BETWEEN WHITE/ORANGE) . No noise when engine rev when stationary, only in motion and underload.Also noise only starts when engine warms up

Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like the catalytic converter. Sometimes the insides will begin to come apart and will only happen after cat is very hot and when the turbo kicks in you are getting an extra push of exhaust plus any bleed off from waste gate. The only fix here would be to replace it.If you need more helplet me know.

Thanks

Brian

Please press ACCEPT if this answer helped

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, would this problem keep putting the engine management warning light on? If so, I will suggest this to my local garage when it goes in for another diagnostic check on 14/04/2010.

Best regards.

Dave

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Brian. Also is there any way of proving this other than replacing it and hoping for the best?

Best regards.

Dave

Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

No unfortuatly not. You may have to wait till it gets more frequent because pinpointing the problem.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Brian ,just for info I found my problem with saab was a vacuum hose was perished and came off. Have replaced all tubes for new .

Dave

Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

glad you found the problem

Thanks

Brian