Arthur Douglas
Arthur Douglas, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS: automatic transmission..V6..slip..2nd gear

Is the automatic transmission of my 2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS (V6) going on me?

While accelerating slowly from 40 - 50km\hour (25 and 32mph) my transmission seems to slip out of 2nd gear and before going into 3rd the engine races up about 400rpm. It only lasts about half a second but I now notice it almost everytime unless I accelerate harder.

I should also mention that it started last summer and did this regularly through the fall. It was much better through the cold winter (-10 to -40 celcius up here in Saskatchewan). Now that spring is back it is doing it consistently again.

Any thoughts would be helpful,

Thanks for your time.

Travis
Category: Car
Expert:  Arthur Douglas replied 4 years ago.
How many miles do you have on the car?
Has the transmission fluid ever been changed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good to hear from you Arthur,

My car has 105,000km (a little over 60,000mi). I have kept up all the routine maintenance including a transmission service about 10,000 km ago. To be clear, it was doing this before that routine maintenance and continues to do it now.

Thanks

Travis

There is a test procedure that will need to be done with a Hyundai factory scan tool. With the Hi-Scan Pro scan tool, the shift solenoids can be monitored. It is possible that the TCM (transmission control module) has failed, or it could be internal transmission failure.

One thing you can check before this is done is to verify that the fluid level is correct. The transmission should be warmed up, a ten minute drive would be sufficient. Then come to a stop on level ground. With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears once and then put the car into Neutral and set the parking brake. With the car still running, and the transmission in Neutral, remove the transmission dipstick and wipe it clean. Insert it back into the tube, and remove it again to check the fluid level.
Experience: ASE Certified Technician