Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2004 Sonata: drives..DOHC..cylinder..The timing belt

Customer Question

My wife drives a 2004 Sonata 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder. The timing belt went and expectedly destroyed a lot of parts. After the rebuild, I cranked it up and it immediately had a very bad vibration over the entire car. I say very bad but it is not violent per say. It is very constant and the motor runs rather smooth for it to be vibrating so much. It definitely initially felt like an ignition problem. The computer throws code P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction. I've done a lot of research into this code and everything keeps referring to it being a bad crank sensor, which I replaced. I followed the troubleshooting for the sensor and it is seems fine. My question is, could it be the computer not reading the signal right due to when the timing belt threw everything out of whack. Does it need reprogrammed? Is there a way to test the computer? Could it be something mechanical? Would a bad sensor or short cause the problem rather than just report it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello there!

You bring up some very good questions. However, when I see this code, the first thing that needs to be done is check to be sure the valve timing is dead on. If the valve timing is off, it can set this code. I have a diagram of the timing marks if you need it. If the marks are ok, then we check the signal from the engine speed sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for you respsone. I've been over the timing several times. That was the first thing suggested to me by a Hyundai tech I was able to talk to. I always take pictures of the engines I rebuild. Not sure why. I just always have. I have a picture of the timing marks lined up with they're respective components and don't see how it is possible the motor is out of time even a tooth. I didn't mention before due to limited space that the head was destroyed and I bought a refurbished head. It's the only piece on the motor I know nothing about, as far as how it was assembled. Could a compression problem throw this code if it was assembled wrong or a valve is stuck? I replaced the vehicle speed sensor which is what I'm guessing you are referring to with the engine speed sensor. I replaced this because the tachometer was jumping a little when I first started the engine so I thougth it may have been the cause. It also has a new cam sensor.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Does the tach still jump alittle bit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. It responds well now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
so we are just going after the code?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. The same problem is still there. It still is misfiring/out of time/compression problem/etc. It still has a very heavy vibration throughout the entire car and still throws the code after being reset. For all I know the tachometer has had a problem for a long time and my wife never noticed. I don't think it had anything to do with the problem.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Check for battery voltage at idle to the ignition failure sensor at terminal 4, Pink/Black wire.
Check for battery voltage from the ignition failure sensor to the coils at idle from terminal 3, Tan/Black wire. Bypass the ignition failure sensor by jumping from terminal 4 to terminal 3 and test drive the vehicle to see if the miss still occurs.