Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

with the rear suspension on my 1999 rolls royce silver spur

Customer Question

I need help with the rear suspension on my 1999 rolls royce silver spur
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Customer I read your other post on this problem. The Spur uses normal style shocks on the rear. The shocks used on these vehicles were extremely durable, and rarely fail, especially if the vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it. The Spur uses a "gas spring" as it is called. The gas spring is essentially uses air pressure as a spring. The pressure, and ride quality of the gas spring is also electronically controlled. Most of the time there is a malfunction, or any type of ride problem on one of these systems the problem is with the gas spring system. This system is very unique to the Rolls, and if possible I believe you shouldn't use a mechanic that is not experienced with the system. This is mostly due to the electronics involved, and the fact that without special proprietary Rolls knowledge and experience, that an average mechanic would be at a loss.

I highly recommend that you seek out a rolls specialist, check them out with the BBB to make sure they have a good reputation. The internet is a good source for seeking out those few shops that are Rolls experts.
If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The rear shocks look like air shocks but I loosened the fitting and oil came out and I had read in owners manuel that the brake and suspicion system uses mineral oil does this sound like what you have seen
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.