Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

I need to install a timing belt on an 02 hyundai xg350L. Ive

Customer Question

I need to install a timing belt on an 02 hyundai xg350L. I've removed the old belt and found what i thought was tdc for #1 cylinder. When I removed the old belt there was what sounded like an unwinding noise. When I put the new belt on and lined up the timing marks everything was ok till i tried to manually rotate the crankshaft to check my marks i get 1 1/2 turns on the crankshaft and the it stops dead with no play at all, the pulley will only go counterclockwise. The book says to not try to rotate the engine if this happens. The book says that the valves may be contacting the piston. I can see the #1 piston on it's way to tdc in the cylinder. The car has 113,000 or so miles on it. It looks like the timing has been done at some time in the past. There are what appear to be white paint marks on the camshaft sprockets. These marks are not the factory notches that are cut into the sprockets. I'm running out of ideas. When I line up the factory marks it won't rotate. But if I move the sprockets on the left (firewall) side of the engine off those marks it will rotate. I haven't tried this with the timing belt on. I'm nervous that i may ruin the engine if I do this wrong. The larger Cam sprockets have 2 marks. The mark from the factory and a white paint looking mark. The smaller sprockets have 3 marks. The factory mark and 2 white marks spaced reasonably close to each other
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA.com
graphic
graphicgraphic
fig 2
graphic
fig 3
graphic
fig 4
graphic
fig 5
graphic
fig 6
graphic
fig 7
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If i put the belt back on this way. (lining up sprockets with factory marks on sprockets and engine) it allows me to rotate 1.5 turns of the crankshaft. I need to find out how to replace the belt if the camshaft sprockets aren't/or can't, i guess, be lined up with the marks on the engine. Or to put it a different way say i removed the belt without finding tdc 0f #1 cylinder before.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
It will only work one way, you have to line up the marks ,
If you can't get the top aligned then if you have ot on the crankshaft turn the crank shaft 15degress clock wise, this position should put all pistons down a little out of valves way so you can align the belt then turn cam to ot position.
regards Greg

Edited by Greg on 4/1/2010 at 4:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not to drive you crazy but I've been working on this car for almost a week. (ot stands for over turn?) So after I move the crankshaft the 15 degress it'll allow me to put the belt on and make it so I can rotate the engine through a cycle like the book says I should be able to? And if so does this mean I'm ok to start the vehicle after this? I have to reassemle the whole engine basically to get to the point where I can start it. It's the only car my family has got and i Can't afford to have a mechanic look at it. I've done the timing on other cars before I've just never had this problem.

Thanks Ken

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ken
Once you have all the timing marks lined up TDC, like the diagram shows, then fit the belt and never in any other position.
once the belt is fitted and the tensioner on, then rotate the engine clockwise two full turns
to check the timing marks relines again .
once you are happy then you may replace all parts then start .
Sorry my mistake not ot old figure not use today, TDC( top dead centre).
No problem Ken ask until happy .
Regards Greg