Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Eclipse: wouldnt start..I changed the plugs, cap & roter

Customer Question

My daughter has a 1994 Mitz Eclipse.. It wouldn't start last week. I changed the plugs, cap & roter. replaced the ignition coil in the dist. still nothing! Then the fuel pump. Then checked the wires for spark agian. at 1st 2-3 sparks and nothing. then 2 sparks. nor when I turn it over no spark at all? What could it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello there!

Are you saying there is only spark when you first try to start the engine... first try and crank it over or are you saying that the #2 and #3 cylinder do not have spark? What about cylinder 1 and 4?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No There is now no spark at all on any plugs! I cranked it and 3 sparks, and no more. Then agian and 2 sparks... Then now when I turn the car over no spark at all on any plugs 123or4..
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Ok... I would recommend to check compression. We need ot be sure the timing belt has not broke or jumped any teeth. If the timing belt is off, you will not have spark.

If the timing marks are on, then we might just have a bad engine speed sensor. Just be sure the check engine light comes on with the key in the on position and be sure the computer is awake with the key on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Already have checked compression. its good

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Ok... good!

We might just have a bad distributor. .

Unplug the crank angle sensor connectors. Turn the key on and check the Black (pin 2), White (pin 1) wires. Each wire should have 5 volts. If there is not 5 volts on the wires, gain access to the Powertrain Control Module. Verify the power supplies at pins 102, 107, 103. Verify the grounds at pins 101, 106.

If there is 5 volts, then the distributor should be producing a 5 volt square wave form while the engine is being cranked over.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX test it in the morning. If the dist. is good? I think the only two thingd left could be.... The crank angle sensor or the ECM??? I may have fried the holofax in the pickup.. on top of the coil in the dist. I think when I put the distributor back togather I may have put the thin silver disk in upside down? Been trying to locate a used Dist. off a working engine. New dist is $520!

So far I have:

1 plugs

2 wires

3 rotor

4 dist cap

5 coil

6 fuel pump

also checked compression on all 4 cylinders all tested between 97-115

While junk yarding today I pulled a ECM out of a 1992 just in case. Found no distributors and didn't know where on the engine or even what the crank angle sensor looks like? or I would have grabbed one. As soon as i test The dist, I will message you!

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
WOW... your compression is low!

Here are the specs.

Standard 1,300 kPa (185 psi)

Minimum 920 kPa (131 psi)