Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Isuzu Trooper: leaks..slipping..light came..loud knock

I have a 2001 Isuzu Trooper, there is no leaks or smoking but burns oil, have to put oil in about every two weeks, the transmission is also slipping a little bit. The oil was neglected and the light came on so I put about 4 quarts of oil in it. I drove it for just a few days and it started to have a loud knock and I went to check the oil and it was all gone again, had to put another 4 quarts again plus STP and drove it home, about 16 miles at 45 MPH. It has now been sitting in the garage since. Is is worth tearing it down. How much do you think it would cost to fix? Do you think that I have ruined the engine? With the transmission slipping would it even be worth it to fix it at this point?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Honestly... in my opinion, if the transmission is slipping (even if the fluid is full) and the engine is knocking (even with the oil full), then it might not even be worth sticking any more money into it. From what you are telling me, both the engine and transmission are on their last leg. You could spend a lot of money just to get the engine fixed or replaced just to find out that the transmission is bad. Honestly... I would not put any more money into it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would you recommend selling it to a junk yard or selling it online, or what. We were thinging of something like $600-900.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
I would probably sell it on line for parts. In my experience, the junk yard wont give you more that a few hundred bucks if that.
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector