Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1998 infiniti i30: dohc..im driving..somewhere..car wont start

1998 infiniti i30 3.0 dohc. for about a month I been having trouble starting the car. I'm driving around doing errands car is running well and come to a place where I'm going, turn off the engine, come back to go somewhere else and the car won't start. The car will start fine after I let it sit there for a few hours. I got full power, battery is fine all lights are on. I checked fuses all ok. I replace the starter about 3months ago. Any thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Have we checked for battery voltage at the starter when this happens?

Are there any security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have not checked battery voltage. how do you do that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Just use a volt meter and put the two leads on the battery terminals when this happens and take a reading.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. like I said the battery is fine. beacuse the car starts after a few hours later. n when it happens all lights are on. radio works windows work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Right... I understand. We are going to make sure that the terminals on the battery have full battery voltage. This will eliminate any connection problem at the battery terminals. If the battery voltage is fine, then we go down to the starter and check for battery voltage there. If there is battery voltage to the starter and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. the problem is intermittent. the car is running now. it just happens at random times, I'll go for a few days with no problems.

Also I replaced the starter about 3 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Well, you could have a bad new starter... this is not un heard of. In fact this does happen more often then you think. Or maybe you have a loose terminal at the battery or even at the starter. By doing the test that I gave you, you will be able to pinpoint the problem.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok that sounds good. if you have a bad new starter. will it explain why it's intermitten and it starts fine after a few hours? the battery post are clean and have good connection.

thanks for your help
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
YES.. starter can do this intermittently when they go bad.
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector