DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

2003 land rover range rover, car wont turn..service engine

Customer Question

2003 land rover range rover, car won't turn over, hdc inactive message, service engine. What does this mean?
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Try jumping it and then turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if the HDC light goes out. If not you will have to have the fualt codes in the system checked to see what is causing the light to come on. For the check engine light you will also have to have the codes checked because it could be a lot of different things. It may just be related to low battery voltage and could just be cleared out.

HDC is hill descent control

Check engine light means a malfunction in the engine management system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I recently had the mass air flow meter replaced, fuel pump replaced, fuel system cleaned, tune up, have never replaced battery. check engine only showed up during this instance, could it be low battery which ultimately needs to be replaced?
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
It could be or it could be something else. Jump it off and take it to the closest autoparts store and they should be able to test it for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would not take the jump. Mechanic checked, everything good, battery has full charge, computer does not note a problem. Car turns over wants to start, making clicking sound only. Son was driving, felt loss of pressure/power when attempting to press gas pedal, car turned off.
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
Expalin that again the car wont start but when you pressed the gas the car turned off so was it running? If the check engine light is on there are codes stored in the system. So does it turn over or just click? If it is clicking then it has low voltage these things take a lot to jump so you may have to get a jump box that has some juice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Son was driving car, he experienced a loss of power as he attempted to press gas, car turned off. car was clicking and attempting to start, now has no sound. (sounds like low voltage to me too, but I unfortunately am not there)

I am going to send AAA to my son's location, I will update you once I have a better idea as to what is going on.. Thanks
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
Ok I got you now. It sounds like the alternator may have went bad. The car was running off of the battery and eventually died. I would have that tested because they go bad on these cars.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I will be sure to have that checked. Will update you shortly, AAA is on the way.
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
AAA says it appears to not get the fuel? I just had brand new fuel pump installed, new mass air meter, did not replace fuel filter, was told it was good, should I have replaced it too? what could this be?
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
I doubt it is the fuel filter, I have never seen one cause this issue. I would check all of the fuses and then have the fuel pressure checked. The new pump may have gone bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. so fuses could cause a new pump to go bad? only been in about 2 wks
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.

No if the a fuse is blown for the pump the pump would not come on. These pumps can be a little difficult to install if you have never done it before it is possible that one of the connectors or a line came off inside the tank.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah, I did not have repairs at land rover dealership hopefully it is something simple.Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX an appointment with the guy who repaired it for tomorrow. Do you mind if I leave this open until then, I like being able to chat with an expert. I will accept and leave feedback, not to worry.
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.

Not a problem. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I sure will. Thanks for everything. ;0)
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mechanic came by today. Car is running. He got the car started with starter fluid. gas light was on in the car. Mechanic went and got gas. Added $10 to tank. Car is still running, I am allowing battery to build back up, however, check engine light is now on. Mechanic thinks car was out of gas, i think something is wrong in fuel line, gas reads at over half tank, no way from empty to half a tank reading with only 10 bucks. i would like to have engine light checked on computer.....any ideas. I have driven car around my neighborhood a few times, it drives fine. All of this was done at my home.
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
Believe it or not I have seen people run their cars out of gas several times due the gauge not reading right. He needs to recheck the pump. This tanks is a saddle tank which means it has 2 sending units in the tank for the gauge. The sender on the drivers side is also a pick up to and has a furl hose that goes to the main pump. I have seen once after pump and sender repalcement that the fuel hose got caought up in the lever on the fuel sender and held it up so the lever would not move with the fuel so it registered more gas than the car had. He needs to pull it back out and check it. If this is not the issue then you could ahve a bad sending unit. To check you will have to ohm them out and move the lever on the sender and see if the resistance varies.
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I just came back from test driving car. Thanks so much. I had a neighbor drive around, (he also works on foreing autos, not the same mechanic who did the repairs.) he says car seems to idle high, that has returned to normal, he reset computer, check engine light is now off. It sent an air suspension inactive code, but that too has gone out. Is this normal?

I really appreciate the attention you have given me. I will have the original mechanic take it down and check it again.
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome. If the system does not find any problems eventaully it will turn the light out. Did he tell you what codes were stored in the system?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually, he reset the computer before any codes were read, so if light comes on again, I will have the system checked.

Thanks again.
Expert:  DBranch replied 4 years ago.
It was most likely misfire faults due to running it out of gas and maybe a fuel sender fault.